Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Wikipedia is case-sensitive, who'da thunk?

This is part of my ongoing series of posts wherein I am the last person on the planet to discover various things. (this is not a planned series, it's just how life is. :) )

If I ask Wikipedia about Virtual Server, I get an article about a Microsoft Hproduct. If I ask it about Virtual server, I get a page on server virtualization. Presumably if you know enough Wiki-lore, this makes sense.

Unsurprisingly, neither article gives me a clue about how I might go about renting a virtual server to avoid the hassle of maintaining hardware or which providers (if any) are reasonably trustworthy.

6 Comments:

At 10:01 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

I've been happy with Linode. I've had an account there for almost four years and worked there for two. Working there may make me a bit biased ;).

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/ seems to be a common source of new accounts, I believe they have a forum dedicated specifically to virtual servers. Along with WHT we get a lot of people that list Slashdot comments as their reason for coming to Linode.

Feel free to stop by #linode on OFTC to talk to other customers and the staff with any questions you may have.

 
At 11:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can recommend slicehost. There's also a page in the Debian wiki with some others.

-- joeyh

 
At 1:30 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

For what it's worth, I've made the two Wikipedia redirects match now. :)

- Chris

 
At 5:25 AM, Blogger Jason said...

You can search on 'virtual private server' to get hits for Xen and other VM hosting services.

Here's Wikipedia again. :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virtual_private_server

 
At 11:11 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can heartily reccommend blackcat networks. They're very good, and it is run by 3 DDs, so you can support their work at the same time.

james_w

 
At 5:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I ran a live Debian unstable server on Bytemark for over a year -- web, email, Jabber, various cron jobs. Only switched off them because I decided I didn't want to run my own server anymore. I would recommend them highly.

http://www.bytemark.co.uk/

 

<< Home