Saturday, May 07, 2005

All Hail Lentils, That Shall Be Soup Here, After

When I reappeared on #debian-devel a few weeks ago, one or two old-timers commented that it had been a while since they'd seen me. The opening of my blog seems like as good a time as any to explain, or at least begin to explain, why I dropped off the face of the Net for a couple years.

The short answer is: grad school. I enrolled in a Masters of Computer Science program at Penn State University, and I picked an extremely theoretical thesis topic that turned out to also be very complicated. Maybe even too complicated for a masters degree. The resulting thesis is available on my department Web site for those who want the gory details (all 200 pages of them), along with some slides I used to present it (made with the excellent latex-beamer package).

If anyone reading this is considering becoming a grad student, I have one important piece of advice on how to survive that you probably won't see anywhere else. It's nothing to do with academics or advisors; it's just this simple admonition: Learn To Cook -- at least, either that or get a job that pays well enough to eat at restaurants on a regular basis. Malnourishment from attempting to survive on pasta alone can really ruin your semester, and that's just one fun way for a bad diet to screw you over. Not only that, but you can save a heck of a lot of money if you buy food in its raw form, and to top things off, it tastes better!

At the moment, I'm working my way through a large batch of lentil soup. By "large", I mean "I can probably eat this as either a main course or a side dish with every meal this week". The total cost for this is, well, I haven't worked it out exactly, but I'd guess all the ingredients come to about $6. It took me maybe a half hour to get all the ingredients in the pot (then you just let everything boil for a while). Not a bad deal, I say. Other useful recipes to know include potato-cheddar soup, minestrone, baked potato, and various ham-based things.

As for Debian, the first thing that I started working on when I got back was a brand shiny new problem resolver for aptitude. More on this in another post; I may be a bit clueless about blogs, but I think they're supposed to be shorter than this ;-). For now, you can just read my ramblings on the subject, or try aptitude from experimental and see what brea^H^H^H^Hhappens.

3 Comments:

At 3:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah! That is insanity... For us tu use it

 
At 8:04 PM, Blogger oakleyses said...

uggs outlet, uggs on sale, ray ban sunglasses, ray ban sunglasses, louis vuitton, michael kors outlet online, oakley sunglasses wholesale, christian louboutin outlet, louis vuitton, uggs outlet, louis vuitton outlet, polo outlet, prada handbags, nike free, chanel handbags, longchamp outlet, michael kors outlet, replica watches, louis vuitton outlet, oakley sunglasses, michael kors outlet online, prada outlet, michael kors outlet online, longchamp outlet, burberry handbags, michael kors outlet, kate spade outlet, ray ban sunglasses, longchamp outlet, louis vuitton outlet, oakley sunglasses, nike air max, oakley sunglasses, replica watches, ugg boots, polo ralph lauren outlet online, ugg boots, gucci handbags, jordan shoes, cheap oakley sunglasses, michael kors outlet online, christian louboutin uk, burberry outlet, tory burch outlet, tiffany and co, christian louboutin shoes

 
At 8:05 PM, Blogger oakleyses said...

michael kors, nike tn, ralph lauren uk, abercrombie and fitch uk, north face uk, ray ban pas cher, nike free uk, lululemon canada, michael kors, true religion jeans, coach outlet, coach outlet store online, hollister uk, sac longchamp pas cher, vans pas cher, nike blazer pas cher, louboutin pas cher, nike air max uk, michael kors pas cher, nike free run, nike air max uk, new balance, sac hermes, jordan pas cher, true religion outlet, replica handbags, nike roshe, longchamp pas cher, guess pas cher, true religion outlet, north face, polo ralph lauren, coach purses, hollister pas cher, oakley pas cher, timberland pas cher, air max, polo lacoste, nike air force, nike roshe run uk, burberry pas cher, converse pas cher, nike air max, sac vanessa bruno, mulberry uk, hogan outlet, michael kors outlet, true religion outlet, ray ban uk, kate spade

 

Post a Comment

<< Home